By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
24x7Report24x7Report
  • Home
  • World News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Beauty
  • Fashion
  • Fitness
  • Gadgets
  • Travel
Search
© 2023 News.24x7report.com - All Rights Reserved.
Reading: What to know about UEFA investigation over Vini Jr. racial abuse case
Share
Aa
24x7Report24x7Report
Aa
Search
  • Home
  • World News
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Beauty
  • Fashion
  • Fitness
  • Gadgets
  • Travel
  • en English
    • en English
    • id Indonesian
    • ms Malay
    • es Spanish
Follow US
© 2023 News.24x7report.com - All Rights Reserved.
24x7Report > Blog > Sports > What to know about UEFA investigation over Vini Jr. racial abuse case
Sports

What to know about UEFA investigation over Vini Jr. racial abuse case

Last updated: 2026/02/19 at 8:53 PM
Share
5 Min Read
SHARE

Contents
What happened?What’s Real Madrid saying?What are Benfica saying?

Racism continues to overshadow the world of soccer, and the next couple of weeks may be telling as to how things will be handled moving forward. Ahead of Real Madrid and Benfica meeting at the Santiago Bernabeu on Feb. 25 in the UEFA Champions League playoffs second leg, there’s a matter that needs to be sorted out due to a current UEFA investigation into an incident between Real Madrid winger Vinicius Junior and Benfica winger Gianluca Prestianni from Tuesday. 

An alleged racial incident caused the match to be stopped while the referee reviewed what happened, and it has now been moved to an investigation by UEFA to determine the next steps. Both teams are maintaining that their side of the story is the correct one, and here’s what to know so far:

What happened?

After Vinicius Junior scored the winning goal in Real Madrid’s 1-0 victory over Benfica in the playoff first leg, the match had to come to a stop due to alleged racial abuse. As he does many times when he scores, Vinicius went to the corner flag to celebrate while dancing, for which he was yellow carded, while objects from the stands also rained down onto the pitch. Benfica weren’t happy with this, and Argentine winger Gianluca Prestianni raised his shirt to cover his mouth while speaking to the Brazilian.

While it’s officially unknown what Prestianni said, he was alleged to have called Vinicius a ‘mono’ which is the Spanish word for monkey. Vinicius reported the incident to referee Francois Letexier, who paused the match while sorting out the situation as per UEFA’s three-step procedure for referees to act against incidents where racism is believed to have taken place.

See also  Premier League manager sack race: Ruben Amorim's seat might be hot, but Graham Potter's is a burning fire

Since it wasn’t clear what was said by Prestianni, the referee could only investigate the matter before deciding on a course of appropriate action, which in this case was resuming the match, but the incident is still subject to further investigation once the match is complete.

UEFA released a statement calling for that investigation, which so far, Real Madrid has complied with:

“A UEFA Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector has been appointed to investigate allegations of discriminatory behaviour during the UEFA Champions League 2025/2026 knock-out play-off match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF on 17 February 2026.
Further information regarding this matter will be made available in due course,” the statement read.

What’s Real Madrid saying?

In a statement on Thursday, Real Madrid confirmed that they submitted all the evidence that they have to comply with UEFA’s investigation.

“Real Madrid C. F. announces that today it has submitted all available evidence to UEFA regarding the incidents that occurred last Tuesday, February 17, during the Champions League match our team played in Lisbon against SL Benfica. Our club has actively collaborated with the investigation opened by UEFA following the unacceptable episodes of racism experienced during that match.
Real Madrid appreciates the unanimous support, backing, and affection that our player Vinicius Jr. has received from all areas of the global football community. Real Madrid will continue working, in collaboration with all institutions, to eradicate racism, violence, and hate in sports and society.”

What are Benfica saying?

Benfica are supporting Prestianni’s statement that what Vinicius said he heard was not what was actually said. There has yet to be an update of their compliance with the investigation, but with the two teams meeting next Wednesday to decide the tie, this is on a compressed timeline.

“The Club reaffirms, clearly and unequivocally, its historical and unwavering commitment to defending the values of equality , respect , and inclusion , which align with the core values of its foundation and which have Eusébio as their greatest symbol.

Sport Lisboa e Benfica reiterates that it fully supports and believes in the version presented by the player Gianluca Prestianni , whose conduct while serving the Club has always been guided by respect for opponents, institutions, and the principles that define Benfica’s identity. The Club regrets the defamation campaign to which the player has been subjected.”

You Might Also Like

Eight best storylines for NBA stretch run: Is Jayson Tatum coming back? Can Spurs jump OKC? MVP up for grabs?

Newcastle’s Anthony Gordon smashes records with four first-half goals

Mike Wagner, a key part of Pittsburgh’s famed ‘Steel Curtain’ defense, dies at 76

How to run a 2026 UEFA Champions League bracket pool: Play for a dream trip, create your own picks contest

Fantasy Baseball Spring Training: Key Injuries, Closers and Early Draft Takeaways

TAGGED: abuse, case, Investigation, Racial, UEFA, Vini

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
[mc4wp_form]
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share this Article
Facebook Twitter Copy Link Print
Previous Article 1 dies after flames consume northwest Aurora home 1 dies after flames consume northwest Aurora home
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Stay Connected

1.30M Followers Like
311 Followers Pin
766 Followers Follow

Latest News

1 dies after flames consume northwest Aurora home
1 dies after flames consume northwest Aurora home
World News February 19, 2026
Where’s my tax refund? When to expect your refund from the IRS.
Where’s my tax refund? When to expect your refund from the IRS.
Finance February 19, 2026
Reem Acra Fall 2026 Ready-to-Wear Collection
Fashion February 19, 2026
Motorola Signature Review: The Slimline Flagship
Gadgets February 19, 2026
Real-Time Data Shows Where U.S. Tourists Are Safe This Spring Break
Real-Time Data Shows Where U.S. Tourists Feel Safe This Spring Break
Travel February 19, 2026
//

This is your World, Finance, Fitness, Fashion  Sports  website. We provide the latest breaking news straight from the News industry.

Quick Link

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Disclaimer
  • Sitemap

Top Categories

  • Fashion
  • Finance
  • Fitness
  • Gadgets
  • Travel

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!


24x7Report24x7Report
Follow US

Copyright © 2025 Adways VC India Private Limited

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?